2007-07-25

TELOS: Ultimate Potential

I work at Telos, a residential treatment center for adolescent boys. This is my first job since completing the medical assisting program at the American Institute of Medical and Dental Technology (now known as Ameritech College). It has been a unique opportunity, in that it involves both my interest in psychology and my recent training in the health field. I'm one of only two medical staff employed by Telos. My boss is the facility's nursing director and she handles the day shift. I work the evening shift, from 5 to 10 at night. As you might imagine, this leaves me with a good deal of responsibility and very little direct supervision. In theory this is a good thing. In practice it has been difficult.

My position was previously filled by an LPN (licensed practical nurse). For reasons unknown to me, when the last nurse left my supervisor decided to look for a medical assistant . Initially I was quite excited to get hired but as time went on there were situations where I felt out of my league. I am not sure whether this is due to my lack of experience in the field or gaps between what the position requires and the duties a medical assistant typically performs.

Telos currently has 24 'students'. An average stay is 5-8 months, so I (generally) grow to care about the boys that come and go from the treatment center. At the same time they can be obnoxious, annoying little gits that it takes all of my willpower not tell them 'oh shut up already' or 'grow up.' This is not a very therapeutic reaction, so I have held on to my patience and just vented to my coworkers and Nathan. Other times they are just dumb teenage boys who give me funny stories to tell. Like the night one of the boys swallowed his guitar pick on a dare. Or the shift when another boy accidentally superglued his fingers together - twice.

Still interested? Visit http://www.telosrtc.com/faq.html

No comments:

Post a Comment