2008-10-05

A Moment of Panic

My trip got off to a good start. Nathan and I got to the airport early, didn't have any problems with security, and were able to sit next to each other on the plane. After a short layover in Baltimore, we landed safely in Providence, RI (Southwest doesn't have flights to Boston). And just FYI, that airport smelled funky. I hope the odor was temporary or else I'm never going there again.

Then I got to spend the night with my favoritest aunt! She and her husband picked us up from the airport and let us crash at their place. Of course, Nathan didn't get any sleep until he got his dose of the sci-fi channel. And I got to play with the puppies. Aunt Debbie treated us to some cheesecake and canollis for dessert. OMG! In Massachusetts you can buy canollis at the grocery store! To top off the good-food experience, Sunday morning we ate out at a local diner and I had my first ever eggs benedict. And I suprised myself by liking it :)




Oh, and the moment of panic mentioned above? At 11:30 Saturday night, we had just barely got in from the airport when I got a call on my cell phone (which I seldom have on and only had turned it on for the trip). It was my grandfather calling from an 801 area code. Yes, the grandfather who I planned on staying with for the rest of our time out here.


Our phone call went a little like this:
Me: Hello?
Him: Hi
Me: Who's this?
Him: It's Grandpa.
Me: Where are you?
Him: Just up the street.
Me: (pause) Are you in Utah?
Him: Yep, I came out to help Uncle Geeb on the house.
Me: Umm, did you remember I was coming out to visit?
Him: Sure, isn't that on the fourth? Deb (his wife) has it in an email.
Me: Uh, yeah...Today is the fourth...we're in Massachusetts now. (by now I'm thinking if there's other family I can stay with or if I should start calling hotels)
Him: Oh. Ok. Well, Deb's expecting you.

It doesn't seem nearly as stressful in writing. But I spent at least another minute making sure I had somewhere to stay for the rest of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment