2012-12-14

Locked Out

So Nathan called me twenty minutes after his yoga class ended, about when I was expecting him home, and told me he'd run into some trouble. One thing led to another and he'd locked his keys in the trunk of the car. His solution was to walk home (3 miles in below 40 degrees), pick up my keys, then bike back to the University, drive home, and the next day I could drive him over so he could ride his bike home. It sounded complicated and time consuming to me. Or maybe we could ask a friend or neighbor to drop my car keys off to Nathan. I asked him to give me five minutes and I'd get back to him.

I Googled "locked out of car" for inspiration and saw several ads for companies to call for this kind of situation. Which led me to think of AAA roadside service which reminded me that we have Emergency Roadside Service (ERS) as part of our auto insurance through Geico. So I called Geico to ask if such a thing would be covered. When I called the ERS (wondering how I'd get the number to do so if I was in fact the individual locked out of my car with the auto insurance card in my glove compartment), the first question they asked was if I was safe and in a safe place. I was touched. And then explained that I was calling for my husband. After giving the Geico man more information, he got Nathan on the line before I hung up. This part was a little funny. Nathan answered his cell phone, Geico Guy asked if it was Nathan A**** and N said yes but this was a bad time. At which point I interrupted and explained why Geico Guy was calling. Then N came in the front door half an hour later. Overall, much faster than N's "Plan A" and didn't have to bother any friends.

I solved the problem and felt really clever about doing so. I tell you, it's the little things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment