2012-12-11

A Pair of Sneakers

Yesterday, I pointed to my feet and said to a coworker "look, I'm wearing sneakers on both feet today!" And because I see her four days a week and probably spend more hours with her than my husband, she new this was exciting and didn't think I was especially daft. Because that's my good news of the week. I'm back in regular shoes now - a matching pair for the first time in over three months. Was it worth it? I hope so. I think my feet still look ugly but I have a thing about feet. As in, I generally think they're ugly. My feet, especially the right one, are still tender and I flinch away from things about to touch it. However, I have good range of motion and can walk and minimal scarring. And the walking is more than I could do this time last year. So yay.

The backstory: The first Friday of September, I had a bunionectomy (surgery to fix a bunion) done on my left foot. Was in a cast for two weeks and then a post-operative "boot" for another month or so. Then, the first Thursday of November, I used a different doctor and had a bunionectomy done on my right foot. Recovery time from the second surgery was immensely better than the first time around. However, I think the left foot looks straighter than the right foot. Oh well. And I had these things done because my insurance would foot (hah-hah) the entire bill this calendar year and surgery was already recommended two years ago when my feet starting limiting how far I could walk. As in, I would be limping by the time I walked the half-mile home from work at a leisurely pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment